Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each purpose to be excessive on the record for journey bucket lists.
The town is a mix of influences, there may be the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil struggle and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat group and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and kinds.
Perhaps you wish to keep within the coronary heart of the previous city and Gothic structure, or do you need to expertise the mix of metropolis and seashore in Barceloneta? It might be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda individual and need to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, infinite procuring alternatives and Gaudi round what looks as if virtually each nook.
Both means, we’ve got one of the best of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can resolve for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E-mail and Affiliate Advertising Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: Searching for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve received a publish about our favourite meals & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely suggest. We even have extra posts on journey in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to seek out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Ideas
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are a number of suggestions that will help you put together to your journey to Barcelona.
- Be conscious of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The very best months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are comfy, and town parks and tree-lined avenues look stunning. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together a number of Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a primary grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you may get away with English, though most vacationer locations do converse English!
- Keep protected: Pickpockets are a giant downside in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you might be more likely to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your telephone on a desk, maintain your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey sporting an expensive-looking watch and maintain your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. All the time be vigilant!
- Eat all of the foods and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with a number of recent hearty substances, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There may be additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite solution to eat! Cava can be made within the area so respectable cava prices little or no. Take a meals and wine tour if you happen to can to expertise it multi functional afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The right abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer crew. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply keep on with Barcelona.
- Carry comfy strolling footwear: The town is extremely walkable however elements of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you notice whereas gawking on the structure. So pack respectable footwear you realize will maintain your ft comfortable and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve received a Barcelona self-guided strolling tour – and we’ve additionally received options for one of the best strolling footwear for journey. Listed below are our favourite journey footwear for males and for ladies.
- Totally different areas even have totally different hyperlinks to different elements of town: The metro system is superb and pretty simple to navigate however if you happen to desire to keep away from utilizing it or buses then it is advisable base your self strolling distance to the stuff you need to see or at the least on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and adjustments. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so consider the place you need to be in relation to the place you need to keep.
- Keep away from short-term house leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot greater than is inexpensive for residents and creating a whole lot of scams and disparity. Resorts had been badly affected by the pandemic so that they deserve the help quite than grasping property house owners who would quite depart an house empty as an alternative of renting it for an affordable value to a neighborhood. There are even new legal guidelines proscribing vacationer licenses and you might be not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a resort!
- In case your check-in and check-out instances don’t sync up along with your have to roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, try LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a protected place to maintain your baggage whilst you’re working round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods known as barrios, every with its personal distinct persona, vibe and enchantment. To the uninitiated, it’s possible you’ll wrestle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I received you lined!
As with many cities, there may be additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see consumers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low-cost hippy retailers promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that type of place!
This provides to the allure of town, you might be at all times only a quick stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing fully totally different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make searching down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – the whole lot your coronary heart needs will be present in Barcelona!
Outdated Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The previous a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of town. Filled with previous winding streets, stunning historic buildings, church buildings, lovely eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will see that Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is one of the best place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nonetheless, you do want to select rigorously as some streets are a bit of shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in if you happen to don’t see daylight out of your resort room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of town and is a brief stroll to the seashore, with elements of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The world can be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry if you’re an early morning sort of individual.
That is additionally one of the best place to base your self if you’re planning on taking our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona. Many of the tour covers this space and can be the place you end so you’re a quick stroll again to your resort afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a combination of expensive motels on this space in addition to some severely price range hostels. Under are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a type of good types of hostels with clear, vibrant rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a fairly, previous church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing a bit of fancier Barcelona Resort Colonial is true within the coronary heart of Gothic in an attractive colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in another course takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as attainable to the eccentric La Rambla then the Could Ramblas Resort is the one for you. It’s situated just a few doorways down a aspect road from La Rambla and can be the identical road you head all the way down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these wanting extra for the seashore vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually not possible to get misplaced. To at least one aspect is Port Vell, to the south is the seashore, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer time Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a good place to really feel you might be staying proper on the seashore with out lacking out on that Barcelona previous metropolis allure. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different elements of town however the seashore ambiance is sort of year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seashore bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are at all times individuals skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are a number of bigger motels on this space as you’ll anticipate with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark resort The W, stunning and epic views however out of price range for many vacationers! You may nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, if you happen to can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the street from the place the barrio begins, the Resort Oasis has an incredible rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in the direction of the marina. From right here you’ll be able to entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a quick stroll.
- Resort 54 Barceloneta is true on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seashore, this may be my decide if going for the seashore resort choice. The rooftop bar can be like a bit of backyard paradise, good for resting after a protracted day of exploring.
- For a extra price range room, the Sea Hostel is a good decide for dorm room-style lodging, it is usually subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly wonderful pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seashore.
Welcome to Eixample, the realm that you just’ll see most in aerial photographs of Barcelona, these good pink sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by way of, it’s the place the designer retailers are and can be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, apart from the irritating pink mild cease/begin system which does make visitors heavier right here. However most motels have respectable sound insulation so you’ll be able to keep away from visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona model with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and lots of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply maintain stumbling into one other stunning constructing after one other, and if you happen to get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The procuring can be unbelievable right here with the whole lot from high-end designer shops, to excessive road procuring, to impartial boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the resort, that is the place to do it.
This space can be rather well linked with public transport, the buses run commonly and there are a whole lot of metro stations in addition to prepare stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
READ THIS POST
The Final Packing Listing: 43 Should-Have Journey Gadgets (by a Full-Time Journey Blogger
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’ll anticipate there is no such thing as a scarcity of motels in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end motels. Listed below are some fo one of the best ones:
- After I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran By way of and it’s the place I like to recommend buddies to remain for a terrific worth resort. The employees was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are vibrant and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Resort Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a good alternative, and although the worth is a bit of greater it’s not eye-watering. You might go all out for a set with a non-public terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your resort to the scent of recent bread and pastries then it is advisable e-book Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply be certain to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the long-lasting Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your most important purpose for visiting Barcelona, and no person will choose you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You may meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and customarily gaze on the unbelievable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant decisions aren’t the greatest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and straightforward to get to different elements of town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
In fact, if you’re staying on this space then you definitely completely want a resort with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most cost effective rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced motels value checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced residences with an attractive shared roof terrace overlooking the long-lasting church. Right here you may get the bonus of a non-public house whereas nonetheless having the chance to take pleasure in a shared area with fellow vacationers.
- For a resort choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has vibrant rooms, a terrific breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic solution to spend a day if you happen to ask me!
Searching for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an impartial city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and pleased with their neighborhood.
Now the realm is stylish and filled with impartial retailers, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place individuals hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato retailers close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however seems like a distinct world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are largely pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The world can be recognized for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is broadly often called one of the best. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for one of the best decor. Though bear in mind if you happen to go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t anticipate any peace and quiet, the events can go on all night time!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary alternative amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit a bit of hidden gem, and motels are usually a bit of cheaper too.
- Resort Ronda Lesseps is a cute resort with an attractive inside courtyard backyard connected to the resort bar. It’s also only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell resort, costs aren’t vastly totally different however it’s barely extra outdoors the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in motels are an actual deal with however they do get busy so bear in mind to order a solar lounger to your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Resorts in Barcelona
In case you are like the remainder of Crew Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you’ll be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a good place to journey along with your furry greatest buddy.
Most eating places are accommodating, a whole lot of retailers have water bowls outdoors for passing canines and it isn’t unusual to see canines becoming a member of procuring journeys. My canine loves coming procuring, it normally means getting a number of love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you’ll be able to convey your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nonetheless, simply bear in mind that in the summertime months (from Could to October) canines aren’t allowed on the primary seashores so you’ll have to discover the canine seashore simply outdoors the primary metropolis heart.
After I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly resort and I’ve a number of buddies who’ve additionally achieved the identical. Numerous motels are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So if you happen to journey along with your little buddy these are one of the best locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This resort is true reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far the most effective parks for canines within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine house owners with pups taking part in on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The resort can be a brief stroll to the seashore and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring town. The resort itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and elegance, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There may be additionally a stunning out of doors space to take pleasure in an aperitif.
- Resort Balmes: An actual gem of a resort, they really have a particular package deal for canines, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can be delicate to their particular guests. There may be additionally an African artwork assortment all through the resort, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran By way of: This resort has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about once I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran By way of resort and it was really unbelievable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the employees are wonderful and really accommodating. The identical vibe can be at their different resort Diputación, each are in Eixample and rather well situated for accessing the remainder of town.
READ THIS POST
Find out how to Be a Extra Accountable Vacationer: a Traveler's Information to Moral Tourism
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly protected and there are few areas to keep away from, these are normally simply sure streets quite than complete areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious quite than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however if you’re an skilled traveler and maintain your wits about you, you’ll be wonderful. It helps to bear in mind that Barcelona has a whole lot of poverty and the typical wage completely doesn’t match the price of residing and housing right here.
There may be additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless individuals in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from town fully as nobody space is best than others.
Apart from that, there are some areas of town which might be simply not value staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Usually once you hear tales of pickpockets, you might be listening to tales of Raval, which is situated to the west aspect of La Rambla.
The world is charming in its personal means, however I wouldn’t suggest it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling residence at nighttime will not be advisable.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: In case you are nonetheless searching for the quirky previous city model that elements of Raval have then keep in Gothic as an alternative. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of previous buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. Could Ramblas Resort is nicely situated for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of town and may be very residential. Housing will be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a distinct clientele than what most vacationers could be curious about.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout town will be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so will probably be a protracted stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra allure and simpler entry to the remainder of town. Additionally take into account Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery provides you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
If you happen to hunt for lodging that’s easy accessibility to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, it is usually near the long-lasting Montjuïc which is fantastic to discover. You too can go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nonetheless, to get anyplace you will want to leap on the metro or prepare, it’s nicely linked however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of town you should have fairly a protracted stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can sluggish you down.
Additionally as it’s a most important transport connection level it does are usually actually busy within the stations, which may get overwhelming if you’re determining easy methods to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: For simple entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place it is advisable be in addition to the Sants cease does. It’s also a most important level for the airport shuttle buses to begin from, which is by far the best solution to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is rather well situated for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s various data! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we’ve got an at a look abstract:
- The Greatest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Outdated Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Greatest Resorts in Barcelona: Greatest choices are Barcelona Resort Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Greatest Canine-Pleasant Resorts in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can’t beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? In brief, AirBnB and quick time period house leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities around the globe. Discovering an precise residence within the metropolis is an actual downside and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the typical individual can’t afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t achieved a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we suggest you to be a accountable traveler and select to remain in motels as an alternative, which had been in fact closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the greatest concepts of the place to remain so you’ll be able to plan the remainder of your journey! If you are within the strategy planning stage don’t neglect to join our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you might be most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback under
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? Now we have explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for afterward Pinterest!