When you’re an individual with a incapacity seeking to journey however are unsure about the place to start, the following tips from fellow-travellers could make your expertise smoother.
Every so often, we encounter people who embody the true essence of energy. Regardless of the challenges life throws their means, they show how persistence can pave the best way to success.
Whereas the world is headed in direction of inclusivity, making it a greater place for folks with disabilities to journey and see the world, mobility and accessibility can nonetheless be a hindrance.
In conversations with quite a few people with disabilities who fearlessly journey the globe, The Higher India has compiled a listing of suggestions and methods for folks with disabilities to make sure a secure and gratifying journey.
If there’s a will, there’s a means
Shivam Porwal, born in Ahmedabad, confronted the challenges of Phocomelia syndrome—a uncommon situation leaving him with out decrease limbs and with solely three fingers on every hand.
But, his incapacity didn’t hinder his ardour for globetrotting. The 26-year-old adventurer has launched into quite a few highway journeys and engaged in adrenaline-pumping sports activities like zip-lining, paragliding, and skydiving.
1. His key recommendation? Belief your self. When Shivam selected a highway journey along with his spouse, many had been sceptical. Nonetheless, they defied all the chances. His suggestions embody staying hydrated with electrolytes and packing important medicines, jackets, and helmets.
2. Selecting the best car is essential for a highway journey. Shivam opted for a customized Bullet, offering stability because of its weight.
3. Shivam emphasises the significance of travelling with a bunch for bike journeys, guaranteeing well being and security. When he travelled from Ahmedabad to Ladakh, the group included a backup car and a travelling mechanic.
‘Be open to accepting assist’
A solo globetrotter, Parvinder Chawla, was identified with rheumatoid arthritis throughout her college years. She has travelled solo to 59 nations in her wheelchair up to now.
4. Her high recommendation? — By no means be afraid to ask for assist. “Don’t hesitate to ask for help. Whereas I perceive that the world will be intimidating, there are at all times good folks on the market keen to assist,” she emphasises.
5. By way of logistics, Parvinder stresses the significance of being ready for varied conditions. “Understanding your physique and its wants is essential. Carry medicines and vital tools with out fail,” she suggests.
6. Earlier than travelling to a brand new nation, she advises you to be sure you do your analysis. “I completely study each side — scrutinising the lodge, the nation itself, and its wheelchair accessibility. It’s important to name the lodge or homestay upfront to substantiate if they’re absolutely outfitted to cater to the wants of a wheelchair person.”
No time like the current
One other such inspiring traveller who’s on a singular mission to navigate the Ganga River in 100 days! A affected person with rheumatoid arthritis with little or no mobility in his fingers and left leg, Rency Thomas feels a way of urgency along with his situation and advises to not hesitate.
7. “It’s straightforward for folks dealing with related circumstances like mine to lose coronary heart and cease dwelling. However I need to convey that it’s attainable. No matter you’re dreaming, should you push your self sufficient, you possibly can obtain it,” he says.
Having an excellent staff to again you up in such expeditions is the important thing to success. “Navigating the excessive tidal river will be onerous however my staff has my again and is ready for something,” he says.
Go solo however be secure
A affected person of epilepsy, travelling for Priti Vishwakarma was at all times a far-fetched dream. Nonetheless, the feedback of society and her well being may stop her from attaining her goals.
8. Epileptic sufferers usually discover themselves confined to their houses as a result of unpredictable nature of seizures. Nonetheless, this didn’t deter her. She defied the norm by establishing her personal journey firm — Womaniya on Roadtrips.
In sharing recommendations on convincing dad and mom to embark on solo journeys, she recommends assuring them of the corporate’s dedication to security. With girls guides and complete safety measures, her journey firm prioritises the well-being of its purchasers.
Edited by Padmashree Pande